From the archives: Suicide
Here are our past pieces on the topic of suicide:
- Striking similarities in personal stories: Kate Johnstone watches two documentaries on suicide.
- What do you say? Karen Wetherall watches I Made This For You.
On World Mental Health Day 2018, the British Psychological Society called on the new Minister for Suicide Prevention to prioritise early intervention.
- New initiatives for working with suicide and self-harm.
- We interview Siobhan O'Neill.
- Starting a national conversation about suicide: World-renowned expert Professor Rory O'Connor talks about his involvement in the BBC1 programme 'Life after suicide'.
- We report on the recent Harris Review on self-inflicted deaths amongst young people in custody, and Graham Towl and Tammi Walker consider prisoner suicide in this online-first publication, with contributions from a prison warden and the prison and probation ombudsman.
- In this piece from 2001, Rory O'Connor and Noel Sheehy look at the cognitive style that can lead people to self-harm or take their own lives.
- Psychologist suicide: Practising what we preach. How many psychologists or therapists do you know, or have you heard of, who have taken their own lives?
- What role does news reporting play in suicide?
- From 2008, a look at masculinities and suicide.
- The psychology of suicide bombing, and the role of the media.
- Reporting from a suicide prevention conference.
- A review of the play 'Anatomy of a Suicide'.
- A free e-health service for those with suicidal thoughts.
- A window of opportunity at a dark time.
There has also been considerable coverage over on our Research Digest blog, including:
- Links between profession and suicide risk.
- Why do people think suicide is morally wrong?
- A study of suicide notes left by children and young teens.
- What's different about those who attempt suicide rather than just thinking about it?
- By treating depression do we also treat suicidality?
- What does a person's writing style say about their risk of suicide?
- Goth subculture linked with history of suicide and self-harm
…and suicide gets dozens of other mentions in our archive… search them by date order here.
BPS Members can discuss this article
Already a member? Or Create an account
Not a member? Find out about becoming a member or subscriber